Dress Code Policy
Sacramento Valley Charter School has had a uniform policy since the 2011-12 school year. SVCS is committed toward creating a culture of academic rigor, and a school-wide dress code policy encourages this climate. Research shows that school uniforms support a safe and disciplined environment; and implementation of this policy will be of benefit to the students, staff, and parents in the following manner:
- assists in reducing distractions and disruptions caused by clothing
- makes economic disparities among families less obvious
- helps students resist peer pressure
- helps instill a sense of community among students
- promotes a focus solely on academics
- promotes an orderly and respectful environment
As Sacramento Valley Charter School is a school of choice, there will be no exception made for any student. SVCS has designated general funds to support families who may need assistance in meeting these uniform requirements.
Students who do not dress in appropriate uniform attire will be sent to the office to call home. Parents will need to bring the appropriate uniform before the student will be allowed to return to class. If the student does not have the appropriate uniform, one will be furnished.
Uniform clothing may be purchased from any retail stores: Kohls , JC Penny, Old Navy , Walmart etc.
Standards of Dress
- Pants - Navy or tan in color and must be worn with a belt at the waist. Belts must be through the loops.
- Skirts, Jumpers, or Shorts - Navy or tan; can be cotton, cotton blend or corduroy; must be knee level or longer and can have an elastic waist. Blouse, Tshirt, or polo must be worn under the jumper. Absolutely NO hip huggers, cargo pants, baggies, logos, insignias, pictures or messages.
- Shorts - Navy or tan in color and knee length. Shorts must be worn with a belt at the waist and belts must be through the loops. Shorts can be cotton, cotton blend, or corduroy and have an elastic waist. Absolutely NO cargo pants, jeans, sweat suit pants, pajamas, logos insignias, pictures or messages.
- Shirts - Light blue, collared, polo shirt, dress shirt, long or short sleeve. No insignias, pictures or messages.
- Sweatshirts or sweaters - can be pullover or zippered - navy. NO logos aside from Sacramento Valley Charter School; no insignias, pictures or messages.
- Shoes or sneakers - Shoes/sneakers (Black) must fit securely on the foot. Shoes with open toes, or backless shoes (including flip flops, sandals, mules and slides) will not be allowed. Shoes may be laced or buckled. NO heelies or rollers.
Note: No oversize clothing will be allowed.
No colored wrist bands, neck beads, head bands, or doo rags are allowed. The principal has a right to stop any pattern, for example groups wearing identical earrings, chains, beads, bracelets, etc. or anything that may be mistaken for a negative group affiliation.
No coats, jackets, hooded sweatshirts, caps or hats are to be worn during school.
The school will strive to achieve full compliance through the use of positive reinforcement measures, and will resort to disciplinary action only when positive measures and supports fail to assure compliance.
Student Dress Code - Personal Habits
- Extreme hairstyles and colors that will distract from the learning environment of the classroom are not allowed.
- Students K-8 are not to bring or wear make-up.
- Clothing may not be obscene, vulgar, or likely to have disruptive effect on the educational process
- Hats are allowed on the playground, but must be removed in classrooms or school buildings.
- SVCS is a perfume free zone.
Free Dress Days:
The last Friday of the month and spirit days are free dress.
Thank you, Shelia Gibson, Principal
Glimpses of 2014-2015